Date: 25th February 2017 at 10:54pm
Written by:

Craig Tanner’s 26th minute equaliser gave Argyle a deserved 1-1 draw against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

You wait all season for an away draw and two come along at once, Argyle’s battling 1-1 draw at Hartlepool last week was followed by another gritty 1-1 against a very physical Luton team, the result kept the Hatters eight points behind the Greens.

Kenilworth Road is not the best of stadiums, to get in youg have to enter through someone’s front door, under the bedroom, through the kitchen, into the back garden and finally into the stadium but once inside it has one of the best atmosphere’s in League Two, helped by over 1,000 travelling Argyle fans.

Luton had to win and with three home games coming up we didn’t have to, so in the scheme of things it’s job done.

It was a battle, Luton seem intent on kicking their way to the play-offs, some of the tackles were over the top and we were not helped by a poor set of officials. To compound his poor performance referee Darren Drysdale whistled for full time just as Graham Carey’s corner was in the air. Bizarre, in a Clive Thomas style.

We were saved late in the game by a fantastic and brave clearing header by Oscar Threlkeld, you won’t see a better covering header this season, it had goal written all over it until Oscar’s brave diving header.

It was a poor first 20 minutes in the first half followed by a better 25 minutes.
We were too open through the middle and couldn’t cope with the counter attacks and the movement of Luton striker Danny Hylton
There were too many mistakes and too many passes going astray.
The Luton goal in the 8th minute was a breakaway with Tanner as the last man, he wasn’t strong enough and Hylton finished well, beating Luke McCormick to the ball.

We recovered well and scored a well worked goal down the left, a back heel from Ryan Taylor found Graham Carey and his cross was finished at the near post by Tanner, a thing of beauty.

We lost David Fox due to another awful tackle and Yann Songo’o moved into midfield with Jakub Sokolik coming on for the second half.

We sat back and soaked up the pressure, there were a few scares but generally we defended brilliantly.

Argyle manager Derek Adams switched to 4-4-2 with Jimmy Spencer and Ryan Donaldson coming on but we still failed to create many chances until a late flurry of corners.

Threlkeld is my man of the match, especially because of the late clearing header. Songo’o was full of mistakes and Taylor struggled to win headers and hold up the ball.
Not many players stood out but as a team they battled and scrapped their way to a deserved point. The football can be played in the next three games, today was all about battling a robust Luton team.

Luton were not that good, a bunch of kickers and two good players in Hylton and the centre back number 6 Cuthbert.
Carey, Fox, Bradley, Threlkeld, Spencer and Donaldson were all kicked in the air by the eager Luton players and yet only two yellow cards were issued. A poor show from the ref.

A deserved gritty draw, now let’s win the three home games!

Man of the Match – Threlkeld.

McCormick 7, Threlkeld 8, Songo’o 5, Bradley 7, Sawyer 7, Fox 6, Sarcevic 6, Carey 6, Tanner 6, Kennedy 6, Taylor 6. Subs Spencer 6, Donaldson 6, Sokolik 6.