Date: 15th March 2017 at 2:56am
Written by:

Substitute Nathan Blissett grabbed a well deserved point for Argyle in a 1-1 draw with Wycombe at Adams Park.

As always in a game against Wycombe it was a physical contest, time wasting and feigning injury.

Blissett’s goal highlights the point that every squad member has made a contribution throughout this successful campaign, some players may not currently be in the team or the squad but over the season every player has played his part.

It was surprising that both teams played in dark kits, Wycombe in blue and Argyle in dark green.
The game marked Derek Adams’ 100th as Argyle manager.

The first half was a struggle for the Greens but it was a much better second half against a team who had no interest in playing football.
Blissett scored the equaliser in the 72nd with his first touch after heading in a corner from Jake Jervis.
The ball took an age to drop in the net – we were time wasting – but it was fully deserved after a dominant second half.
Referee Charles Breakspear had a good game and kept a lid on the antics of Wycombe, he twice stopped the physio from coming on when Wycombe players were feigning injury to attempt to stop Argyle’s momentum but Wycombe’s reputation precedes them and referee’s are now much stronger in dealing with their gamesmanship.

We were battered and bruised during the first half, we lost the midfield battle and long ball after long ball was launched into our area, it really was a physical first 45 minutes.
Wycombe had two early chances, one from Akinfenwa nearly caught keeper Luke McCormick napping but his 40 yard shot went just wide, before taking the lead, Jervis lost his man and didn’t back track and McCormick was surprisingly beaten from a tight angle by a shot from Weston after latching onto a far post cross
The Wycombe fans mocked the Green Army by singing ‘three little birds’ and ‘bottlers’ and using their phones as torches.

We just couldn’t compete with the physical side of the game.

The second half was a lot different, instead of trying to battle Wycombe we played through them by playing football.
Jimmy Spencer was immense up front, setting up our play by winning the ball and laying it off, he led the line very well and drew a lot of fouls.

Jervis came more onto the game and had two good chances saved.
We still had to be careful at the other end and McCormick was alert to any danger.

Blissett replaced Kennedy and with his first touch scored a great equaliser.

One Jervis shot was saved by Blackman in the Wycombe goal and from the resulting corner Blissett pounced for the equaliser.
The Wycombe ball boys now showed more urgency to return the ball and the Wycombe fans no longer threw the ball further away when it was an Argyle throw-in.

We could have won the game with some late chances, we built up some pressure and dominated the closing stages but a point is just fine.

Every player stepped up for the second half after a lack lustre first half. We snuffed out the danger from Akinfenwa and credit to the two centre backs for dealing with the high balls.
Oscar Threlkeld did his best at left back and Gary Miller did well to last the whole game.

Once Carey and Fox got onto the ball in the second half we raised our game and played some good football. On another day we could have won.

Man of the Match: Spencer.

McCormick 7, Miller 7, Sokolik 7, Bradley 7, Threlkeld 7, Fox 7, Carey 7, Sarcevic 6, Kennedy 6, Jervis 6, Spencer 8. Subs Blissett 7, Songo’o 6, Slew n/a.

How do Wycombe fans watch that anti football every week?