Date: 18th January 2017 at 11:07pm
Written by:

It was a narrow 1-0 win for Liverpool against Argyle in the FA Cup replay at Home Park.

All anyone can say after that is ‘well played, lads’. We are proud of you and you are a credit to PAFC after that superb performance.

Ryan Donaldson made a surprise return after a jaw injury and he filled the gap in midfield, otherwise it was the team and 4-5-1 formation that everyone expected.

The first battle was before the game when the crowd had to fight against the very loud music played over the PA system, just as the crowd got into song the music was turned up. The club never learns from this at big games and the music killed any pre-match atmosphere but the fans did have their own way during the game.

We started the game in Anfield mode, content to sit back, close down the space and let Liverpool have the ball and play on the counter attack. It was working fine until the 18th minute when a regulation League Two corner caught us out and Lucas Lieva scored his first goal in seven years.

The game plan then changed, we pushed forward more and Threlkeld and Jervis were causing problems down the right and from a Threlkeld cross Garita nearly had a chance at the near post.

Carey tried his luck from 25 yards out that Karius saved. Liverpool were neat and tidy and Coutinho moved the ball quick.
Carey picked up an injury and Bulvitis was ready to come on but the midfielder signalled to the bench to wait until half time.

Carey returned for the second half and we started it very well and pinned Liverpool back into their half, Jervis and Slew, who we know are now so crucial to the team, were pushing forward backed up by Purrington and Threlkeld.

The golden chance came when Bradley headed across the area to the unmarked Jervis, he tried a scissor kick and as Home Park fell silent for a split second the ball hit the post and bounced away with Karius beaten. So close.

Adams made some subs, with Tanner and Rooney coming on and changing the formation to 4-2-4 to try and get a goal.

Songo’o gave away a penalty by bringing down Moreno but McCormick saved Origi’s weak spot kick.
Bulvitis finally came on as surely Adams would switch to three at the back except the big Latvian played as a striker to add some height up front.

The changes affected us and we couldn’t really apply the pressure as we did early in the second half and Liverpool will play Wolves in the next round.

I can understand Adams making changes because Donaldson and Garita were looking tired but we just had our best spell of the match and once the subs came on we were more open in midfield and Liverpool controlled the game again.

Hopefully Carey’s injury isn’t too bad, Fox, Purrington, Threlkeld and Jervis were excellent and several of the passing moves, some of them one touch, would grace any Premier League stadium.

The Argyle fans created a fantastic atmosphere once the game started, the Liverpool fans were once again quiet and the temporary seats on the Mayflower terrace looked very good and professional.

If any neutral saw the first 20 minutes of the second half they would be hard pushed to decide who was the Premier League Team.

So it’s back to the promotion race, we didn’t win this game but we won a lot of friends and money!

Man of the match: Purrington.

McCormick 8, Threlkeld 8, Songo’o 7, Bradley 8, Purrington 9, Fox 8, Donaldson 7, Carey 7, Slew 7, Jervis 8, Garita 7. Subs: Rooney 5, Tanner 6, Bulvitis 5.