Date: 9th September 2013 at 7:59am
Written by:

We go back to the 1960’s for this episode of Where Are They Now and Peverell Green takes a look at the career of Argyle winger Barrie Jones.

BARRIE JONES – Born 10th October 1941, Swansea, South Wales.

Barrie started his career with his hometown club Swansea, then called Swansea Town, signing as a professional with them in September 1959. By then he had already represented Wales in Schoolboy and Youth Internationals.
He made his U-23 international debut on 8th February 1961 in a game against England at Goodison Park watched by a crowd of 27,235, England won 2-0 with goals from Chris Crowe and Bobby Moore, also making his debut that day was future World Cup goalie Gordon Banks.

Barrie went on to make another seven appearances at U-23 level. Also in 1961 he appeared in the team the won the Welsh Cup when Swansea beat Bangor City 3-1. Barrie made his full international debut in 1962 in a Home International game at Ninian Park Cardiff against Scotland, unfortunately for him goals from Welsh legends Ivor Allchurch and John Charles wasn’t enough to stop the Scots winning 3-2.
His first international goal also came against Scotland, and again he finished on the losing side, in a 2-1 defeat at Hampden Park Glasgow.

He made another three international appearances before Argyle manager Malcolm Allison made a bid of £45,000 to bring him to Home Park. While at Swansea he made 166 league appearances and scored 23 goals.
While £45,000 may not seem a lot by current standards, it was at the time not only a club record but also a British record fee for a winger.

Barrie made his debut for his new club on 12th September 1964 in a 1-1 draw against Ipswich at Home Park with Frank Lord scoring the Argyle goal.
His first goal came in a 2-0 win at Gigg Lane Bury, Barrie scored the second after Frank Lord had opened the scoring.
His next goal was in a 3-2 home defeat to Coventry; Mike Trebilcock had scored the first goal with Barrie getting the other.
His next goal also came in a 3-2 match, this time an Argyle win at Swindon, he scored twice and Mike Trebilcock got the other goal. Barrie also scored twice in the FA Cup third round game at home to Derby; Argyle won 4-2 with Nicky Jennings and Mike Trebilcock also scoring.

1965-66 again saw Barrie terrorising opposing full backs from the right wing, with Nicky Jennings doing the same on the left with Argyle centre forward Mike Trebilcock usually getting on the end of their crosses.
Before October was out Mike had scored eleven goals and was attracting the attention of Everton, to who he later moved. Barrie also managed to score goals as well as providing the pass for others to finish off; his first of the season came when he got the second goal in a 2-2 draw at home to Cardiff with Mike Trebilcock also scoring.
He also scored in Argyle’s biggest win of the season in the FA Cup third round at home to Corby Town, the non-leaguers were hammered 6-0, a Mike Bickle hat trick doing most of the damage, with goals from Norman Piper, Cliff Jackson and Barrie ensuring there was no FA Cup upset. Barrie also got the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win at Burnden Park Bolton.

With Mike Trebilcock now at FA Cup winners Everton, mainly due to his two goals, Mike Bickle and Richard Reynolds were profiting from Barrie’s wing play, by mid-October they had scored seventeen goals between them with Mike just ahead in the scoring stakes with nine, including four in a 7-1 home win over Cardiff, although Richard had scored all three goals in a 3-1 win at Home Park over Millwall. Barrie himself had scored in the first home game of the season when they beat Coventry 4-2; Norman Piper got the first with Barrie and Mike Bickle (2) also on the scoresheet. He also scored in a 2-1 defeat at home to Carlisle.
His final goal for the club came on Boxing Day at Fratton Park Pompey, unfortunately it also ended in a 2-1 defeat for Argyle.

Despite being an almost ever present, and sending over crosses that led to countless goals during his time at the club, in February Argyle manager Derek Ufton accepted an offer of £25,000 from Cardiff and Barrie returned to Wales.
He played his last game on February 4th in a 2-1 defeat at Crystal Palace with John Mitten scoring the Argyle consolation goal.
His worth to the club can be summed up by looking at the two Cardiff results that season.
At Home Park with Barrie in the Argyle team Cardiff were thrashed 7-1, in the return fixture in March, with Barrie now playing in a blue shirt, Cardiff ran out easy 4-1 winners.
While at Argyle he made 110 appearances and scored twelve goals, he also made a further three appearances for Wales, playing against Scotland, N.Ireland and Denmark.

When he joined Cardiff he moved from out on the wing to a more central midfield role, he never missed a game for the rest of the 1966-67 season or the two that followed it.
He was part of the team that won the Welsh Cup in 1967, 1968 and 1969; he also played a major part in Cardiff reaching the semi-final of the European Cup Winner’s Cup.

Barrie played in 107 consecutive league games and was closing in on the club record of 114 held by Arthur Lever (1946-49) when on 4th October 1969 Barrie broke his leg during a 3-2 defeat at Blackpool. Despite several comeback attempts in the reserves he never played for the first team again.
He scored 18 goals from his 107 games and also played another seven times for Wales scoring another goal this time against Germany in Frankfurt, he scored the first goal of the game in a 1-1 draw.

On leaving Cardiff Barrie continued to play football at a lower level.
He spent 1971-72 at Yeovil, 1972-73 with Worcester City and spent 1973-74 back in Wales with Merthyr Tydfil before retiring.
After football Barrie ran a squash centre, worked in Swansea leisure centre and also coached sport in a school.