Date: 22nd September 2014 at 8:17am
Written by:

David Jack is the subject of this latest chapter in the Where Are They Now series.

DAVID JACK – Born 3rd April 1899 Bolton, Lancashire.

Born with the unique name of David Bone Nightingale Jack, Nightingale was his mothers surname before she married, I have no idea where the name Bone came from.
David Jack was the son of long serving Argyle manager Bob Jack, along with his brother Robert ‘Rollo’ Jack, progressed through the junior teams at Argyle.

David’s career was held up by the outbreak of the First World War. He served with the Royal Navy and played football for the navy team, he also guested for Chelsea when he was home on leave.

When the war ended in November 1918 David returned to Plymouth, with football restarting for the 1919-20 season.
He made his debut as an inside forward in the opening game with Argyle beating Swindon 3-0 at Home Park with Will Dixon (2) and Tommy Gallogley scoring the goals. David scored his first goal on Christmas day in a 3-1 win at home to Exeter, after he had scored the first goal, Charlie Flood and Billy Kellock both scored to send the 14,000 crowd home happy.
Charlie scored again the following day to secure a 1-0 win in Exeter.

David’s next goals came in the first round of the FA Cup when he scored both goals in a 2-0 win at home to Reading. That set up a second round home tie against Barnsley with Argyle winning the game 4-1, David scored another two goals with Bertie Bowler also scoring twice.
In the third round Argyle travelled to Division 2 team Huddersfield, who would be promoted at the end of the season, unfortunately Argyle were beaten 3-1 despite David scoring his fifth cup goal of the season, this was the only goal he scored away from Home Park during his Argyle career.
In between the second and third round cup games he also scored twice in a 4-0 win at home to Northampton with Will Dixon also scoring two goals. On Good Friday David scored the goal to beat Cardiff 1-0 at Home Park watched by their biggest league gate of the season of 19,950.
The following day, also at home he scored the first goal in a 2-0 win over Bristol Rovers with George Sheffield scoring the second.

In mid-April he scored the second goal in a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Newport with an own goal and one from George Sheffield securing another home win. David scored his twelfth goal in the last home game of the season when he scored the second goal in a 2-0 win over Gillingham after strike partner George Sheffield had got the first.
David ended his first season as a vital member of the team and the second leading goalscorer behind Billy Kellock who scored one more.

The end of the 1919-20 season saw the teams from the Southern League being admitted to the Football League into the newly formed Division 3. The Northern League did the same the following season to form Division 3 North, with Division 3 becoming Division 3 South.
Argyle played their first game on 28th August at home to Norwich a crowd of 17,356 saw a 1-1 draw with Jimmy Heeps having the honour of scoring Argyle’s first league goal.

On 8th September in a home game against Crystal Palace Jack Hill made his debut for Argyle it was the first time the two players who would both go on to captain England played together. David scored his first of the season when he got the first goal in a 3-1 win at home to Gillingham with Harry Raymond scoring the other two.
By the time David scored his next goals scouts from Division 1 clubs were starting to take an interest in him.
On 6th November he got two goals in a 5-0 rout of Brighton at Home Park, after Billy Kellock had opened the scoring, goals from David (2), Patsy Corcoran and William Toms finished the game off.

When a bid of £3,500 came in from David’s hometown team Bolton it was too much for Argyle to turn down. He played his last game in a green shirt on 11th December in a 0-0 draw at home to
While at Argyle David made 48 appearances and scored 15 goals.

David made his Bolton debut a month after signing with them against Oldham. He formed a deadly strike partnership with Joe Smith as Bolton finished third in the table with Joe scoring 38 goals for the season, between them they would score over 300 goals for the club in the eight years David spent at Burnden Park.

Bolton and David in particular had a good cup run during the 1922-23 season, after beating Leeds 3 -1 they won every game to the final 1-0 with David scoring every one of them.
The final of Bolton against West Ham was the first one to be played at the new Wembley Stadium that had cost £800,000 to build. The stadium had a capacity of 127,000 but the FA underestimated how many wanted to see the game, it was estimated 240,000 got into the ground with another 60,000 outside. With the terraces filled to capacity the crowd spilled on to the pitch, police mounted on horses forced the crowd back to the edge of the pitch, and they stood all around the perimeter of it.
The game finally kicked off 45 minutes late and with only two minutes of play David scored the first goal to have been scored at Wembley. Jack Smith added a controversial goal in the second half as Bolton ran out 2-0 winners.

In 1924 David’s performances and goals earned him his first England cap, they surprisingly lost the game 2-1, he retained his place for a game against Scotland a month later that ended in a 1-1 draw, after failing to win either game he wasn’t selected for England duties for another four years.

In 1926 Bolton again reached the FA Cup final, this time winning 1-0 against Manchester City with David again scoring the winning goal. In 1928 he played for England in another two games against France and Belgium scoring his first England goal.
David’s appearances for Bolton and England were enough to make the legendary Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman to set up a meeting with Bolton’s manager to agree a price for his transfer. The story goes that Chapman arranged for the meeting to be held in a bar with the two men drinking gin and tonics, although he was only drinking tonic, as the Bolton man got drunker they agreed a deal to take a 29-year old David to Highbury for a fee of £10,890 it may not seem a lot now but at the time it was a world record transfer fee, beating the £6,500 Sunderland paid Burnley for Bob Kelly three years earlier. After playing 295 times for Bolton and scoring 144 goals, he was leading goalscorer in five of the eight years he was at the club, he was on his way to London.

David made his debut for his new club in October 1928 and finished the season as leading goalscorer with 25 goals in 31 games. At the end of the 1929-30 season Arsenal beat Huddersfield 2-0 in the cup final making David the first player to have won the FA Cup with two different clubs at Wembley Stadium.
As Arsenal dominated football in the 1930’s David continued to pick up honours as they won the league in 1930-31, 1932-33 and 1933-34, he also played another five times for England, scoring another two goals and captaining the team on four occasions.
At the end of the 1933-34 season David realised his time was up at top level football and not wanting to drop down to a lower level after playing 208 times and scoring 124 goals he left to become manager of Southend.
Ironically the player Arsenal bought to replace him was Argyle’s Raymond Bowden.

He managed Southend from May 1934 until August 1940 when clubs laid off their staff due to the Second World War. When peace returned he took over at Middlesbrough in November 1944 staying with them until April 1952.
In 1953 he moved to Ireland to manage Shelbourne who were playing in the League of Ireland, he stayed with them until 1955.
A lifelong heavy smoker David died on 10th September 1958 due to cancer of the oesophagus.