Date: 10th December 2012 at 10:23am
Written by:

The next former Argyle player under the spotlight in Peverell Green’s Where Are They Now series is striker Dwight Marshall.

DWIGHT MARSHALL- Born 3rdOctober 1965 St. Lucia, Jamaica.

Dwight moved to England as a young lad from his home country of Jamaica. He attended Holloway Boys School in North London where he started playing competitive football; he was a gifted right winger and was often selected to play for Islington Schools.
After leaving school he wanted to make a career in football but his parents encouraged him to get ‘a proper job’ and he found work in an office but continued to play football at weekends in local leagues.

It wasn’t until he was 25 when he signed for his local semi-professional team, Grays Athletic.
It wasn’t long before a number of league club scouts alerted by his willingness to take a man on and goalscoring ability were watching him; he had trials with Sheffield United and Crystal Palace but wasn’t offered a contract.

Fortunately Palace recommended him to the then Argyle manager, David Kemp who was impressed by what he saw and signed him on, with Argyle paying Grays their club record fee of £35,000.
Dwight made an immediate impact at the club by scoring on his debut in a 2-1 home win over Barnsley.
His first hat-trick came on 18th January 1992 in a 3-1 win at Barnsley.
With 15 goals he was the clubs leading goalscorer in his debut season, so it was no surprise when the always popular striker was voted player of the year.
Unfortunately Dwight’s goals were unable to save Argyle from relegation or David Kemp’s job, with Peter Shilton taking over in March 1992.

The following season wasn’t as successful as his first due to injuries and in March 1993 he was loaned out to Premiership team Middlesborough only Argyle could loan out a player who was struggling in the third tier of English football to one in the first.
He must have impressed Boro manager Lennie Lawrence, as he wanted to make the move permanent, as it turned out the club were struggling financially and were unable to match Argyle’s valuation of him and after three games he returned to Home Park.
By his standards it was a quiet season, only scoring one league goal, the third in a 3-0 home win over Bradford City and five in the cup.

The 1993-94 season saw a fit again Dwight back amongst the goals as Argyle finished third in the table. Another away hat trick, this time in a 5-1 thrashing of Bradford City, Andy Comyn and Kevin Nugent getting the others.
With four in-form strikers it was unsurprising they ended as the division’s top scorers with 88 league goals, and another 10 in the cup for good measure. Steve Castle 22, Kevin Nugent 19, Paul Dalton 16 and Dwight 15 were the main goalscorers with Mickey Evans weighing in with 9.
Unfortunately we were beaten by Burnley in the play-off semi-final.

Failure to gain promotion led Dwight to look elsewhere for the opportunity to play at a higher level. Argyle fans were upset at the thought of the short man (5` 7″) but with a huge personality leaving the club, but no one begrudged him the chance to play in a higher division.

It took an offer of £150,000 from Luton to persuade the club to sell him. Luton manager, David Pleat had identified Dwight’s pace and goalscoring ability as the two main reasons for signing him, with the opportunity of joining a club nearer his family too much of a temptation.
Dwight soon became as big a fans favourite at Kenilworth Road as he had been at Home Park. He made his debut on the opening day of the 1994-95 season, coming on as substitute in a 1-1 draw at home to West Brom, making his full debut the following week in a 0-0 draw away to Derby.
His first goal was the only goal of the game at Port Vale. Dwight had scored 13 goals in 32 games when, a disaster, for both Luton and him happened, he broke his leg at Sunderland.
Already struggling, without his goals Luton were unable to fight off relegation to the second division.
He returned to the team in January 1996 as a second half substitute in a 3-2 defeat at Preston. Even though he continued to score goals he found himself increasingly being frozen out by the now Luton manager, Lennie Lawrence, the same man who had tried to sign him for Middlesborough.

When the chance came to return to Argyle he jumped at it. While at Luton he played in 128 league games and scored 28 goals.
Dwight’s former playing colleague and now Argyle manager, Kevin Hodges, re-signed him in September 1998 on a free transfer. He made his second Argyle debut in a 1-1 draw at Torquay, scoring his first goal in a 2-1 home defeat to Swansea. He scored another eleven goals that season from a total of 31 league and cup appearances. He scored his final goal in a 4-3 defeat at Orient, and made his final appearance on 17th April 1999 when we lost 3-0 at home to Southend. In both his spells at the club he made 155 appearances and scored 48 goals.

On being released at the end of the season he moved back to London and signed for Kingstonian. As luck would have it his new club drew Luton in the first round of the FA Cup at Kenilworth Road. He was obviously well remembered by the fans as he was given a standing ovation with the crowd chanting his name. There was no dream return for him, for although they led 1-0 and 2-1, Luton ended up 4-2 winners. He made 13 appearances for Kingstonian that season and scored 2 goals.

A move to Ryman League team Slough Town followed where he scored 17 goals in 52 appearances.
The 2001-02 season he spent at Ryman League Division 1 team, Aylesbury where he scored a hat trick in a 5-0 win over Yeading in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup, in the first round proper Aylesbury where drawn at second division Port Vale, at 0-0 Dwight hit the post, but ended up on the losing side with Vale narrowly winning 1-0. That season he played 27 times and scored 17 goals.

The following season he moved to Boreham Wood where he made 5 appearances and scored his final goal. He finished off the season at Leyton Pennant where he made 20 appearances.

On retiring from football Dwight returned to an office job and now works as a Human Resources Manager for City & Islington College.