Date: 4th May 2015 at 11:03am
Written by:

Earl Jean is under the spotlight in this edition of the Where Are They Now series.

Earl Jean – Born 9th October 1961 Castries, Nr St. Lucia.

Earl Jude Jean began his football career in 1991 playing for Portuguese side Oliveirense, he spent the 1991-92 season with them making eleven appearances before moving to Uniao de Coimbra in 1992, after making twelve appearances he moved to his third Portuguese team Leca.
Earl spent two seasons with them making a bit of a name for himself as a goalscorer and at the end of the 1994-95 season was over after making 55 appearances and scoring eighteen goals he was transferred to Felgueiras playing in the Primeira Divisao. Earl only spent three months with them before he moved to England when he was signed by Ipswich town on 6th December 1996 on a month to month contract.
He made one appearance for Ipswich when he came on as a substitute in a 1-1 draw against Stoke at Portman Road.

At the end of January 1997 he moved to Rotherham on a non-contract basis. Despite playing in a struggling Rotherham side Earl managed to score six goals from eighteen appearances, with eleven of them coming on as a substitute. His six goals were enough to see him finish as leading scorer. It was his goalscoring that brought him to the attention of Argyle manager Mick Jones and on 1st August he moved to Home Park on a free transfer.

Earl made his Argyle debut in the opening game of the 1997-98 season in a 1-1 draw at Bristol Rovers with Mick Heathcote scoring for the Greens. He scored his first goal for the club three weeks later in another 1-1 draw, this time at home to Chesterfield. His next goal came in late November in a 2-2 draw with Rotherham at Home Park with Mick Heathcote getting the second goal.
Four days later he scored again when he got the goal in a 2-1 defeat at Gillingham.
On 8th November he got the first goal in a 3-0 win at home to Bournemouth with Adrian Littlejohn scoring the other two. The victory came four days after they had beaten Wycombe 4-2, it was the only time that season they would win successive games.
Earl’s next goal came in the first round of the FA Cup replay against Cambridge when he scored the second goal in a 3-2 home defeat with Ronnie Mauge also scoring.
Despite a 1-1 draw with champions Watford at Vicarage Road and beating runners-up Bristol City 2-0 at Home Park Argyle finished in 22nd position and along with Carlisle and Southend were relegated to Division three.

Earl got the 1998-99 season off to a good start when he scored the winner in the opening game at Home Park in a 2-1 win over Rochdale with Ronnie Mauge getting the first goal.
Ten days later in the first round of the League Cup he scored the first goal in a 3-2 defeat at Fratton Park Portsmouth with Sean McCarthy also on the scoresheet. Earl scored his third goal in August when he scored the second goal in a 2-0 win at Scunthorpe after Mick Heathcote had opened the scoring.
After scoring three times in the opening month of the season Earl had to wait until February before he scored again when he netted the first goal in a 2-1 win at Darlington with Dwight Marshall getting the winner.
Earl played his last game for the club at the end of March when he came on as a substitute in a 3-2 defeat at Chester. At the end of the season with his contract up after making 76 appearances and scoring nine goals he left to return to the Caribbean with W Connection.

After scoring eleven goals in only nineteen games for the Trinidad team Earl returned to the UK when he signed for Scottish team Hibernian on 11th February 2000.
Despite his goals for his previous team Earl only played five games, all of them coming when he came on as a substitute. At the end of the season he left Scotland to return to Trinidad with W Connection.

Back in a warmer climate Earl started scoring goals again, and plenty of them, in two seasons he scored thirty four goals in thirty three games.
His next move was to China when he joined Hefei Chuanggyi, after only nine games without scoring any goals he decided to rejoin W Connection for a third time in 2003.

As in his previous two spells for the club Earl once again started to score goals, between 2003 and 2007 he added another forty five goals to his tally. At the end of the 2008-09 season Earl left to join another Trinidad team San Juan Jabloteh.

At thirty seven Earl had joined the club as player coach and after making one appearance at the end of that season in December 2009 announced his retirement.
Although he had finished his playing career Earl was not finished with football. He teamed up with Stuart Charles Fevrier who had been his former St. Lucia national team coach.
Fevrier was now chief coach of Earl’s old team W Connection and he rejoined the club as assistant coach.
As well as a successful club career Earl also played over twenty times for St.Lucia between 1990 and 2004 and in 1998 he was selected to play for the Caribbean All-Stars in a game against Jamaica.