Date: 26th March 2013 at 10:24am
Written by:

Wembley hero Ronnie Mauge is next under the spotlight in Peverell Green’s Where Are They Now series.

RONNIE MAUGE – Born 10th March 1969 Islington, London.

Born Ronald Carlton Mauge, Ronnie began his football career on 22nd July 1987 as a trainee at Charlton.
He stayed with them for just over a season without making a first team appearance before signing for Fulham on a free transfer early in the 1988-89 season.
He spent two seasons at Craven Cottage regularly playing in the first team and scoring his first league goal.
While at Fulham he made a total of 56 appearances and scored two goals.
A bid of £40,000 from Bury persuaded Fulham to let Ronnie move north.

Ronnie spent five seasons at Gigg Lane, again as a regular first team player making 134 appearances and scoring 14 goals. He was also loaned out to Manchester City spending most of the 1991-92 season at Maine Road, but made one appearance for them.
When Bury played Huddersfield, their manager Neil Warnock was impressed with the way he had controlled the midfield and made a note of him.
When the now Argyle manager heard he was available paid Bury the same amount they had paid for him.

Ronnie joined Argyle on 21st July 1995 and made his debut on the opening day of the season in a 2-1 defeat away to Colchester with Adrian Littlejohn scoring the Argyle consolation goal.
He scored his first goal for the club in October in a thrilling 4-3 win at Home Park against Torquay, with an Adrian Littlejohn hat trick doing most of the damage.
He also scored in the other Devon derby on New Year’s Day in a 2-2 draw at home to Exeter with Ian Baird scoring the other goal.
He continued to score against our local rivals when he scored the first goal in a 2-0 win at Plainmoor with Adrian Littlejohn again scoring.
The following Saturday he was on target again, once more scoring the first goal in a 5-1 rout of Scarborough at Home Park.

A fine end to the season saw Argyle win five of the last six games to finish in fourth place, only one point behind Bury and earning a place in the end of season play-offs.
In the other play-off fifth placed Darlington were to play the team one place below them in the table, Hereford.
With Argyle playing Colchester who had finished six points behind them in the table.
A trip to Layer Road saw Argyle narrowly beaten 1-0, the eagerly awaited return leg three days later saw 14,525 turn up at Home Park, the biggest crowd of the season, with goals from Mickey Evans, Chris Leadbitter and Paul Williams ensuring they went home happy and set up a meeting at Wembley against Darlington on May 25th.

The vast majority of the 43,431 Wembley crowd were wearing green, after a fairly dull opening hour Argyle fans finally got the goal they craved.
It came from a well worked training ground move. A Chris Leadbitter corner was played into space to Mark Patterson; he crossed onto Ronnie’s head who placed it beyond the reach of Darlington goalie Paul Newell for the only goal of the game. Wembley erupted to the cheers of the Green Army.
Argyle held on and once again the Argyle fans roared as captain Mick Heathcote raised the trophy.

1996-97 saw Argyle back in the Second Division where Ronnie scored three league goals. He also scored two in the FA Cup; he scored the first goal in a 5-0 mauling of Fulham at Home Park in the first round with Mickey Evans (2), Adrian Littlejohn and Carlo Corazzin getting the others.
The Second Round saw another thrashing for our opponents, this time Exeter were the victims, after Mickey Evans scored the first goal, Ronnie, Chris Billy and Adrian Littlejohn ended our neighbours cup hopes for another season.

The following season Ronnie only managed to score two goals, one in the league and one in the FA Cup.
His league goal came in November, scoring the last goal in a 4-2 home win over Wycombe with Carlo Corazzin (2) and Adrian Littlejohn also getting on the scoresheet. A first round replay against Cambridge saw Ronnie score his other goal that season, after an away 0-0 draw Argyle lost the replay at Home Park 3-2 with Ronnie and Earl Jean getting the Argyle goals.
Unfortunately we finished 22nd in the table and after only two seasons in Division two were relegated along with Brentford, Carlisle and Southend.
1998-99 was to be Ronnie’s last at the club and he got the season off to a good start by scoring the first goal in a 2-1 home win over Rochdale with Earl Jean getting the other.
He got another goal in September when scored the Argyle consolation goal in a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Darlington.
His final goal came away to Orient, Steve Guinan and Dwight Marshall also scored, but it wasn’t enough to save Argyle from going down to a 4-3 defeat.
His final game for the club was the last home match of the season against Cambridge which ended in a 2-2 draw.
He had already told manager Kevin Hodges he wouldn’t be signing a new contract and when the match was over did a solo lap of honour to thank the Green Army for the support they had given him in his four years at the club.
While at Argyle he made 158 appearances and scored 18 goals.

On 10th June 1999 he joined Bristol Rovers on a Bosman free transfer where he soon became as popular at Rovers as he had been a Home Park. In 2000 his talents were recognised when he was selected to play for Trinidad and Tobago, the birthplace of both his parents, against Canada and later in the same season against Morocco and Mexico, a broken leg in the match against Mexico kept him out of the Bristol team for most of the remainder of the season.

The following season he played again against Jamaica, Guatemala, Mexico, Costa Rica and the Cayman Islands.
While at Rovers he made a total of 69 appearances but didn’t manage to score any goals.

In April 2002 he retired from professional football, but not football completely playing for St.Albans City and Aldershot before joining Whitton United in 2004, the following season he became player/manager before finally hanging up his boots in 2006 and spending another season at Whitton as their manager.

On leaving Whitton he became the Football Development Officer for Ipswich Borough Council.
Never far from controversy whether it was referees and red cards, or the police and courts, Ronnie will always be a part of Argyle folklore for one 65th minute glorious goal he scored at Wembley.